Friday, August 23, 2013

Happy Birthday PawPaw!

 My Grandpa Louis, had to be the coolest guy ever!
He passed away when I was 19. It was my sophmore year in college.
I was his first grand. I remember my mom called me on October 14, 1999.
She said "We are all going to the Dr. with Daddy on the 18th, the Dr. said his lungs were dark and he may have lung cancer." I felt empty, lost and that night I sat down and made a list of everything I could accomplish before the inevitable. That week I saw one of my uncles and told him what my mom told me..... I knew he wasn't handling it well. And of all the people to call me to confirm the bad news, it was him. It was a quick, yet painful stab in the heart. He left a voicemail and I knew he had been stabbed as well, I didn't take it personal. I went back to Arkansas for Christmas and we got to spend his last days with him. He wasn't the same and I was already missing him. The outpouring of love and support from friends, family and community was stellar. My grandpa was amazing, no other word(s) could describe him. He and my grandma taught us so much.

If you can eat, you can always feed someone.
If you take care of people, they will always take care you,
Love and protect your family, you are all you have!
Know where you come from and appreciate your heritage.
Be proud of who you are and don't take wooden nickels.

I miss him so much.

He passed away January 2, 2000 from lung cancer.
The opening line to his eulogy preached by his brother was "Have you ever met a ship too big for the water?" I think that was a very accurate description.

Happy Birthday PawPaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment